Jim Cathey wrote:
If you're dead set on LEDs... look into anything that uses Luxeon
LEDs...  I've played with a 3W one... was VERY bright.  The datasheet
says they output 70-80 lumens.  You'd need a 12V to 3V supply though.

They look fairly persnickety about what you feed them.  Best to
be careful, I think they run them right on the ragged edge of death.

I bought one just to tinker with... dumped 3V and 1A into it (current controlled benchtop supply), and it didn't complain. Couldn't look near it either... Could always use it at 50% rated power... ;-)
John