That almost always happened on the OM621 and 615 engines if the owner let anyone else change the oil. But there is an error in the statement: The plastic filter was not the "prefilter" it is the mail filter, and the replaceable cartridge is the BYPASS filter. Without the main filter properly in place the bypass does nothing.