Fellow listers,

I have a client with a '76 450sl. In an attempt to improve performance a bit, we are considering installing the tri-Y headers and downpipes from a 500slc and fabricating a custom exhaust (or modified 500slc exhaust) for the remainder. Both are m117 motors and as such I believe the 500slc headers will bolt right up to the heads. Given they are both 107 cars, there should be no issue with steering box clearance. What I do not know is if there a size difference with the exhaust ports that needs to be reconciled? Has anyone BTDT? Anything to be wary of? This car does not need to pass emissions so those issues are moot. FWIW, this is a former California spec car.

Thank you in advance.

Mathieu
www.oldworldauto.com