To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2007 8:49 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Picked up an 83 300TD needs vacuum pump and other issues

I can't keep track of which models are which year, but here is my
writeup of the VP replacement on Brunnhilde, 79 TD (123):

http://www.constructivity.net/rebuilding_the_vacuum_pump.htm

Everything you need to know!  Note that I did this once, about a year
later the rubber diaphragm failed again.  Not sure why, but the 2nd fix
has held up so far.  2 things make this easier -- clean the engine well,
esp the area around the VP, and remove the power steering pump (which
only takes a few minutes).  Then you have clean access to the whole
deal, clean being really important as the engine is open to the oil
reservoir so you don't want trash falling in there.  There are allen
head bolts that hold it on, gettting to them by contorting around the
PSP is not fun.  Also, make the little jig as shown from some scrap wood
or something as it really helps in reassembly.  The second time it was
maybe a 2 hour job, the fan and its little bolts with minimal access
being the most time consuming and finger scraping aspect.  Also keep
track of which way everything comes apart and goes together so you get
it right.

I don't know if the VPs are the same on the SD and TD, but if you are
doing this job, taking the time, it makes sense to just get the parts to
make it new (like $40) and be done with it (one hopes).

--R

Mike Canfield wrote:
I just picked up an 83 300TD with 298K miles on it. Among some other issues, it needs a vacuum pump. Was working fine and just quit. No vacuum to anything. How hard is it to change the pump? What drives it? I have an 83 300SD I can rob parts from........Will the vacuum pump fit my TD?