On 5/22/07, Redghost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
What would the replication errors be, or would there be, if a woman
were to carry her own clone?  How many generations hence before
errors would be induced if you used the original donor in succeeding
generation vs. donation from prior generation to source the next?

Off the wall, but I am sure there is enough brain power on the list
to at least shine a very dim light on the topic

Well, the largest problem you run into first is that the process of
cloning is not exact as of yet. Too many errors are still introduced
merely by man trying to meddle in a natural process. So at this time,
you'd have genetic errors in the first generation. Now, supposing that
man ever gets to a point where genetic clones of humans are a 100%
reliable possibility, then you get into an even different problem. The
clone being a duplicate representation of the mother carrying the
child, the mother's body would be unable to tell any difference
between the child and the mother. Meaning any disease, cancer, etc
that the mother may have/contract during the 9 month incubation would
have a far larger risk of being transferred to the clone child as the
genetics involved can not tell a difference and begin to rewrite the
clone DNA with the same RNA rewriting the mothers.

Further, look at the plight of the banana. Some 65 or so years ago
(roughly, going by memory instead of taking research time to pull
proper data) there was a banana that was known as the Big Mike. People
that still remember the Mike say that it was a firmer, sweeter banana
than we have today. Heck, some of the listers may remember the Big
Mike. Every banana that we eat today, that we think of as "the"
banana, the bright yellow color, the curvature, the "God inspired"
easy open handle is a clone. They are all genetically identical. So
was the Big Mike, it too was a genetic clone. Every Mike was the same
on the cellular level. Today, you will not find a Mike. Period. They
are extinct.

A disease ran rampant through the Mike. It spread, eventually, to
every banana field in the world that grew the Mike. Because they were
cloned, there was no genetic alterations, no differences, that allowed
any strain of MIke to become impervious to the disease, and as such,
every last one was wiped out. Today, the same has started occuring to
the Cavendish Banana (the bright yellow, etc) and there may be one day
soon that we have to start eating a completely different banana again.
As the last of the Cavendish becomes extinct.

A "perfect" human clone would face the same fate after 20 or so
generations. There wouldn't be enough genetic differences left in the
gene pool to combat all diseases and the race would slowly die out.
Probably.

--
Knowledge is power... Power Corrupts. Study hard... Be Evil.