On May 30, 2007, at 6:41 AM, LarryT wrote:

That may not be a problem for you - and a big gas W126 is unequalled in comfort and security on the open road (unless you find a W140) - but just be prepared for a healthy maintanence program

Oddly enough my w140 is having it's 60K mile/92K km service completed today. I'll let everyone know what the bill comes too.

I did pass on replacing the activated charcoal filter at this time which is $362 or so (internet pricing) plus you have to remove the wiper motor assembly to get at the filter housing, 3 hours labour? I'll look at that filter replacement next year after visiting the USA and picking it up somewhere to avoid the duty/taxes I'd normally have to pay in Canada, plus pricing is a bit better. Well that and having it done today likely would have added another $1K to the bill.

PS as a maintenance item I replaced the heater manifold pipe distributor, which is a plastic 4 pipe creation that "T"s off coolant for the heater cores. It sits on top of the rear engine block and internet experience says they crack over time, dumping your antifreeze all over the engine, and likely toasting it if one is not paying attention.

In replacing that part they discovered one of the heater hoses had a bulge in it and needed to be replaced, requiring a two day wait here as the S shaped hose comes from central parts. Given the car is 15 years old I thought it was wise to check all that piping for issues.

John
1983 300TDt  368k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1990's 300TDt  172k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1993 500SEL 180k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)