Levi,
R-12 connectors look like a Tire Stem welded to the pipe.
When R-12 to R-134 conversions are done the R-134 adapter is screwed on top of the R-12 connector. Some of the 134 adapters have Red Lock-Tite (Stud & Bearing) on the threads making it hard to remove the 134 adapter. But it can be done. Just a little heat will release the Lock-Tite, Go to your local McParts store and Look in the A/C Supplies area You will find the adapters (Under 5 Bucks) Pick up a set then change out the leaking one you have. Screw off Old Screw on New.

Russ W.

Levi Smith wrote:
Hmm...  Dunno, I don't know what R12 connectors are like.  There's a dust
cap that screws on to a "pop-on" coupling that works with any of the R134
refill kits.  It *looks* like that's part of the pipe...  But for all I
know, perhaps it's somehow threaded onto a smaller piece on the pipe?

This is sounding like I'm going to be better off to take it to someone who
knows what they're doing until I've seen it done once...

Levi