yes, well since we northerners lust after rust free southern beauties, don't
bet on it.  My LA, TN, TX 300D 2.5t has minor leaks in compressor, evaporator
and one of the tubes.  MB-tech said to see how long R-12 lasted, and he
probably switch cover to R-134a.  In  NE we need AC about 3 weeks; tops. rest
of the time the AC is just a convenience or a quick way to take moisture off
windshield.  when I lived in TN, I had mine on for 6-7 months a year. .