More injector pump sealing.  I pulled the rear plate and made a new
paper gasket for it.  Then I pulled out the idle regulator and found
that its O-ring looked good, especially since I didn't have another
one!  (The HF O-ring kit doesn't go that big.)  I don't think it would
be too hard to replace on the car if I had to.  I did dump all the oil
out of it, I don't think it's supposed to fill up like it was.
(Sitting it on its back will do that.)  Finally I tipped the IP up on
its nose and removed the bottom plate that covers the cam.  It has a
weird tapered wedge ring type of seal, and it was starting to look a
little tired.  I believe Casey said that on the 603 motors the big oil
filter O-ring is a decent substitute.  OK, but the 602, with one less
cylinder, requires a smaller seal.  I took one of the big O-rings and
cut out about an inch with a razor blade, using a bias cut.  I then
glued the ends together with cyanoacrylate glue.  (I have heard about
this technique before, but this is the first time I have used it so
far as I can remember.)  The 'new and improved' O-ring fit into place
over the 'bump' on the cover, I put the glue joint next to a mounting
screw so that it would get a good tight pinch.  I eased the cover into
place and tightened down the screws.  The cover tightened down all the
way, the O-ring should have gotten well wedged into its tapered seat.
We shall see if this works!  I saved the old seal just in case, though
if this leaks I think I should just try to buy a new seal.  I finished
up just as I ran out of time.  It's just about time to start putting
this pig back together!

It seemed like I should record the pump's plate info for future
(parts-ordering?) reference:

PES 5M 55C 320 RS 159
(011) 642 90 362
0 400 075 976
(M) 602 070 04 01 ER 0011
Bosch

The parentheses represent circles, the (M) is the mercedes logo.

-- Jim