That is similar to what happened when the head gasket blew on my 1994 S350.
Except that it happened all at once, got gradually. The failure caused oil
to dump into the #1 cylinder. The cylinder still fired (until oil pressure
built up), and the compression actually went up in that cylinder - probably
because all the oil caused the rings to seal better. There was sooo much
smoke that it appeared more white than grey or black, but smelled like motor
oil. I've since heard this is a common failure for that engine (one of
many).
I rather doubt your problem is similar, but throw I'd throw it out there
just in case...

-Dave Walton