When the shops ran over the system with a sniffer, did they bother to
run it up under the dash to see if the evaporator is leaking?

Does the compressor or somewhere in the line have a high pressure safety
blow off valve? Most systems do and  if those things fail or get weak,
the first time you are stuck at a light in the heat with the ac on ,
they'll pop open and out it goes. Usually you'll hear it and see a fog
coming out from under the car for a few seconds, but if they fail in
slow release, you'll never notice it.

-------Robert