Nicely encapsulated, Alex.

Even NEW VW diesels are suffering from the craze. Such a disprepancy
between the price of the gasser and the diesel.

We took a hit buying our high mileage 190D at 4300 bucks.

Your mention of a diesel accord struck me. Love it.

I tell you, we are in diesel territory here on Bainbridge Island, WA.
You can pretty much assume that when you see a set of VW headlights
(even beetle) that you will soon hear the accompanying mild klatta.
And often with the required biodiesel sticker.

And there are so many 123s that we don't even nod at eachother as we pass.

BUT, I, so far have the only 190 diesel that I have seen here. A fair
amount of 190Es though.

Brian

Alex wrote:
It's true, though.  I don't think you fellows in the rest of the
country understand quite how crazy the Mercedes diesel market is here
in the Pacific Northwest.  A few factors in combination---the
discovery of biofuels by the granola culture (no offense intended as
I'm kind of one myself), the old-car culture that already had a solid
presence (thanks to our mild climate and unsalted roads), and the fact
that there have always been more furrin than domestic cars on the West
Coast---have created a perfect storm for 123 desirability.  It's like
the tulip mania in 17th-century Holland.  Sell your 240D here while
you can and retire on the proceeds!

The upside, of course, is that for every boom there's a bust.  In a
couple of years when a wide selection of new cars designed to run on
ULSD are on the market, all the flower children will be trading their
300Ds for diesel Accords, and the former will be available dirt cheap.
 Sadly, I suspect many of them will be in dire condition and need a
lot of TLC.  Judging by the number of 123 wagons I see dragging ass
around town with blown SLS systems, many of the bio-crazy purchasers
of Benzes are out of their depth, with neither the will nor the cash
to take proper care of an old car.