What works the best for me (keep kids and pets you care about away) is
the super ridiculous concentrate of roundup, in the 1 gallon jug. Basically
liquid death.

Anything else makes it a little hard to plant there afterwards if you change
your mind in a year or so.

What works even better though is a goat. Just fence off what you want cleared,
and let it go to town.