Cold enrichment is more for idling than when the car is in motion.
I am not 100% up to speed on the last versions of the CIS/E system but the
basis of all CIS/E systems is that even without any electric input they
continue to work. That is why MB was so reluctant to let go of the sytem,
even when just about everyone else went to full electric fuel injection
(which MB did in 93/94).
However every CIS system needs fuel pressure to work, if your fuel pressure
is wrong then it may give the impression of fuel stavation.
http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/timing2.htm at the bottom of this page is
a basic layout of the KE (CIS/E) system
http://covintechnical.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tech_2.htm
http://ffp-motorsport.com/tuning/kejetronic.php
http://web.archive.org/web/20060104183213/mb.braingears.com/ have a dig
around in here for tech stuff

How long since you checked your O2 sensor, maybe when it gets to operating
temp it starts to send out bad vibes to the computer.
It may be possible to diconnect it to see if there is any change.
Blocked fuel tank? I would say no because the symptons would not be so
regular and would repeat themselves during the course of driving. It has to
be remebered that the CIS system pumps a lot of fuel with something like 90%
being returned to the tank.
This is the same reason I am not thinking blocked fuel strainer and/or fuel
filters.
 "My theory is there is enough fuel in the pump and line to get us the
1.5 mile.  But at that point the pump must take over, and for whatever
reason it is struggling.  Either the filter is occluded, or their is air
getting into the system.  I understand from my mechanic that this car has
two fuel pumps, and they are known for causing issues."
Sounds good on paper but when you realise the amount of fuel that is pumped
through the system............
If air gets into the sytem you would have a fuel leak.
If you have fuel pump issues then the problem would not be so regular but
more intermitten.

Anyhow we need some more info before we can start to track down a likely
culprit, such as engine operating temp when the problem occurs, is the car
fine once it gets past the 1.5 mile mark and any other odd things that are
happening.
Has your mechanic checked the trouble codes? From about 88 on the CIS/E
system has self diagnostic abilities.