From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of LWB250
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:40 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] WAY OT: fertilizer [was Re: killing weeds and Bombay
cats]

Most of the plantings at the home we built in Wisconsin died within the
first year.  Because we were on a bluff at the shoreline, the ground was
heavy (and I mean HEAVY) clay.  You could dig a hole, pour a bucket of water
in it, and it would take literally weeks to drain (if the water didn't
evaporate first.)

I kid you not, I bent a shovel blade when trying to dig a hole in the stuff.
I even used a hydraulic power auger to drill the holes for my deck footers,
and I had to hang on the top of the auger arm to force it into the soil.

Dan

--- Peter Frederick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Probably too much water then, and poor drainage.
>
> Check the soil -- if soaked, you will have to find a way to get the
> water to drain.  It should be damp, not full of water.  Do not water
> unless the soil is quite dry and the leaves droop.
>
> Peter

________
Choose the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car
Finder tool.
http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/