Pick-up day!  I assembled my tool kit and a tow strap, and I made
arrangements to fetch my neighbor along for a lunchtime run to Post
Falls.  I'm also bringing my electrical troubleshooting manual, I may
try to get the fuel pump running.  I won't do this in front of the
seller, though, that's just rude.  (In case of success.)  I'll bring
my electric vacuum pump too, I may be able to rig it to run the power
brakes even if we can't get the car started.  (It's a converted door
lock pump from an early 126.)

...And the noontime pickup was fairly uneventful.  I got the electric
vacuum pump hooked up and it worked well, according to my test pilot.
I used a spare main vacuum line from some diesel (115?) that had a
check valve and an accessory tap on it, I just corked the end that
normally goes to the vacuum pump and hooked it to the booster and fed
the pump to the tap.  (Pilot also reports that the CD player works
nicely, and that the PO forgot to remove a disc from the player.)  We
stopped a few blocks away and I tried bypassing the fuel pump relay,
but it was not the problem.  It is apparently the (expensive!) pump
itself, further diagnosis will probably confirm this.

The tow car (Chicken Wagon) was unable to drag the dead weight up the
graveled hill near the house, I had to detach and quickly go get the
4wd Chevy pickup.  But otherwise the trip, though slow and on back
roads, was uneventful: just the way I like them!

When I got home after work I put the car on a charger to replenish the
battery from its episode with the lights and the vacuum pump.  Let the
games begin!

-- Jim