All the talk about the CHEAP SL, although a bit out of date I thought I'd
post the values of the MB 450SL according to the SL Market Newsletter
(08/09/04) . . . courtesy of D. Quinn:

Condition 1   $21,000
Condition 2   $12,789
Condition 3   $  9,160
Condition 4   $  5,780
Condition 5   $  1,700
Condition 6   $     800

Condition 1 - Restored in maximum potential professional standards.
Condition 2 - Preserved examples with minor wear.
Condition 3 - Worn original with higher mileage & repaint.
Condition 4 - Driveable needing only minor work to be reliable but
deteriorated and incorrectly rebuilt or modified.
Condition 5 - Needs complete restoration.
Condition 6 - Seriously damaged.

As I well know, as I've tried to sell my '76 (possibly a condition 2
example) for two years without success as I believe these values are only
pertinent for those who are specifically looking for this model.  Note: I
know of one owner of a completely restored ("The Star" centerfold example)
who was supposedly offered considerably more than the highest price on this
list and did not accept it.
Hope this helps.

G. M. Brown
Brevard, NC