Once everything is together - timing chain in place over camshaft -
the timing mark on the camshaft should line up with the crankshaft at
TDC. The timing mark is on the camshaft, not the gear. You can then
rotate the engine with a socket on the crankshaft. There will be a
noticeable and dangerous lurch of the timing chain when the vacuum
pump clears top position and it's spring pulls it back down forcing
the timing chain along with it.
If the camshaft timing mark does not line up, I was able to remove the
chain tensioner and get enough slack to move the timing chain over the
camshaft gear one link at a time. This is a good time to check on the
timing chain stretch. There is no adjustment if the marks do not line
up other than to replace the timing chain.
Don't try to rotate the engine if the marks do not line up. The
resistance may be due to the valves hitting the piston.

Hope this helps...

-Dave Walton