I don't know about a 240D, but on a 300D and 300TD,
it's just a matter of pulling the bolts and cables,
then twisting it around like a puzzle piece until it
slides out between the exhaust and suspension/frame.
It takes a little doig until you get it oriented
correctly, if I recall.

Never having worked on a 240D, I'm not sure if the
exhaust routing would make it different...

Dan

--- Zoltan Finks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm afraid I don't know about the auto tranny
> dipstick issue. But I do
> know that the starter gets dropped out the bottom
> after you access the
> bolts any way you prefer.
>
> You turn your wheels all the way one direction or
> the other, and you
> rotate the starter like 90 degrees or something like
> that. This allows
> the solenoid to pass through the suspension parts.
>
> I did successfully extract the starter through the
> top one time, but
> through the bottom is much much easier. (I just like
> to brag about
> that).
>
> Brian
> 83 240D
> 87 190D
>
> On 8/11/07, Dwight E. Giles, Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Tom,
> > Yes, Haynes says to remove the steering track bolt
> and the fill tube bolt
> > and have an assistant push the tube rearward to
> allow clearance for starter
> > to be pulled out. Not much clearance. . I watched
> my indie do mine and he
> > did a lot of the bolt work from the top, but got
> under it and dropped it.  I
> > didn't see him move the dipstick tube, so might
> get by without doing that. .
> > Dwight
> > Dwight E. Giles, Jr.
> > 1979 240D-250K + miles
> > 1990 300D 2.5t 135K miles
> > Wickford, RI

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the
tools to get online.