Here's the skinny from my buddy with the wireless dish
stuff:

Got some pictures below. First the dish is exactly the
same as the Dish network dish except for the feed
horn. I first took the feed horn apart and removed all
the electronics and then drilled a good size hole down
through the shaft and out the back of the horn to feed
the cable from my new horn. Directions and details on
how to make it are here....
http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biquad-dish-antenna/

There are also lots of other directions on the net
just search on Homebrew WiFi or Biquad dish WiFi The
granddaddy of all instructions are here ....
http://trevormarshall.com/biquad.htm

If you need the parts in a kit go here....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Build-a-BiQuad-Booster-WiFi-Antenna-for-Linksys_W0QQitemZ120153511227QQihZ002QQcategoryZ44996QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

If you order one of these then you will have to know
what kind of electronics you will be using as the
antenna connectors are different. You need to hook
something up to the pigtail on the dish as the signal
degrades very quickly. I used a Linksys WET11 which is
a bridge. Then this is hooked up via cat5 to a Linksys
WAP11 which is a plain jane access point. If I were
your friend I would get the WET11 first and if he has
wireless access in his other building he may be able
to make the jump with just that hardware. The WET11 is
a bridge and if you know the name of the access point
you just put it into the WET11's setup and it will
auto-connect and you have a network. You can connect
to the WET11 directly with cat5 and plug into your
computer.

I connected the new feed dish to the old feed dish
with silicon and I will be putting a tupperware dish
around it to protect it from the weather.

Also notice in the pictures that the dish is mounted
upside down as our shot is horizontal and not up into
space. I then bought a small pigtail to convert the
feedhorn connection to the connection that was on my
airport card. I had to remove the battery and there is
a cover plate that was removed and then I could
disconnect the internal antenna and connect the dish.
I then fired up Macstumbler which will list and speak
the name of the access points that it finds. I then
moved and aimed the dish until I found my access point
that I was going to use  (there were a bunch out there
) and then locked down the dish.

This is the point I am at now and I will be hooking up
the electronics next year with POE (power over
ethernet) and weather proofing everything.

Hope this helps but I would start with just the WET11
first as that may all he needs.

Got a little couch potato?