On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:45:31 -0700 (PDT) LWB250 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No loss of efficiency over very long runs.  At the school that I work
> at, we have a number of intermediate data frames in each building, and
> the fiber runs between these and the main data frame are easily 100+
> feet or more.

I work in a transportable building (aka, "a bunch of trailers sandwiched
together") that's connected to our main building with 20,000' of single
mode fiber pair. I recently purchased a couple of gigabit media
converters, connected them up, powered them up, and, bingo, ethernet. I
can pump 92 megabits (all my wired connection will allow) through the
fibers to a computer in our main building as easily as I can to the other
computer in my office in the transportable which has only 15' of CAT 5 to
go through.

Craig