Christopher McCann wrote:
> OK, I replaced the vacuum line from the back of the intake manifold to the
> switch over valve. The old line was not clogged at all (but I have a nice new
> one now) and the problem of slow acceleration persists at low altitudes. No
> way to test the high altitude issues as I am no longer in Colorado. Ă…nyway,
> it is as if nothing changed. Could the switchover valve be
> clogged/stuck/broken? The line from the switchover to the ALDA is not
> clogged.
>
> I hesitate to even suggest - could the ALDA be out of adjustment?

The pressure line from the ALDA, thru the switchover valve, to the
intake manifold MUST be open and free of obstruction. Blow (from the
ALDA end toward the manifold - there should be no more resistance to air
flow than would be expected from a large drinking straw.

YES, the ALDA could be out of adjustment. Perhaps 80+% of the '83-'85
turbodiesels were set very "lean" at the factory to be sure that the
cars met ALL the emissions requirements. Set that lean, many did NOT
meet the Mercedes published acceleration figures.

The ALDA should be set so that the car meets the 0-62 mph acceleration
numbers published by Mercedes. I'd give you the actual number if you
provide the year and model car you are discussing (and whether it is
California certified). It's more than just desirable to provide that
information IN EVERY post referring to that car.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)