After discovering that my 1990 300SEL had a blown head gasket, I decided
to trade it in on a 2001 Ford Expedition.  So, now my wife and I have a
97 Explorer and a 2001 Expedition.  It is nice to drive a car that has
such modern luxuries like a CD changer, keyless entry, heated seats,
etc.  What usually happens is that I get tired of a car in about 18
months. I like the fun of having a car new to me. I spend time
fixing/maintaining everything and shining it up and enjoying the newness
(even if they have all been used cars). So, I will drive the Expedition
for 18 months or so, then give it to my wife and I will her Explorer and
find another Mercedes.  I will probably go back to the 124. I really
enjoyed my 90 300D.  I really like the 90-95 124's. The diesels are
probably better cars, but I still like the gassers also.

I picked up the Expedition last week on Friday.  The dealer is also my
mechanic. He always has 6-7 cars for sale. Mostly Mercedes and an
occasional BMW. But, he had this Expedition.  It belonged to one of his
customers who also had a newer S class.  Well, he wanted my old wheels
(the 15 hole wheels) from my 126.  He was going to take off the newer
wheels I bought from him and put them on a 94 320 Wagon and put my old
wheels back on my car. I didn't want to just give them to him and he
didn't want to spend a lot of money on them, so we worked out a deal. He
did an oil change, transmission flush, coolant flush, and rotated and
balanced the tires.  So, I left the car on Friday afternoon and went
back at five to pick it up. When I got there, he was pushing it out of
the garage.  The FUEL PUMP went out.  So, I asked him is this was my
problem or his problem (I had not paid for the car yet). He said it was
his problem. He ended up having to replace the fuel pump ($500) and
spend all the labor.  I know have a 2001 Expedition with a new fuel
pump.

Donald H. Snook

2001 Ford Expedition.