Kirbys aren't a ripoff, they are a pretty impressive machine. And unlike
most other brands, you can still get parts for any of them, no matter
how old.
We've got one from the 50's that I've had forever, still runs great, but
I didn't like having to dump the cloth bag with my allergies, and i
found a newer G3 at the state resale ( where all the state agencies take
their old unwanted or broken stuff to sell to the public ) and I found
one with a stuck step switch from one of the nearby colleges , for $25.
Only thing wrong with it was someone had stomped the pedal too hard and
knocked it off the pins ( the state could have got it fixed for free,
the Kirby dealer doesn't charge for repairs unless parts are involved ).
It's nice because the super duper allergy bags for the new ones , fit
the old ones, and those things are easily repaired, and parts easy to
find. There's big janitorial supply that has parts and doesn't mark them
up like the dealers do.

As far as service, My wife, who has the talent of being able to break
anything ( she figures we were made for each other , she can break
anything and I can fix anything :-) managed to somehow break the drive
axle on the thing. When I went to get a new one, the parts place said
they'd never seen one break, and when they called the factory to order
one, found out that  nobody else had managed to break one on one of
those models either, and they didn't have any, but they said they would.
It took about 3 weeks, but they tooled up and made a new one ( and it
was like the new style ones, slightly improved design , looks like they
just had to make a few custom modifications to it )  and no extra cost.
When I got back from the vacuum shop, I stopped by the Hallmark shop and
got my wife a card of congratulations  for " succeeding where all others
have failed" :-)

I'll have to agree on the stairs though, with a three story house,
vacuuming operations on different floors are planned out ahead of time.

-------Robert