> The "stub axle" is more properly called a spindle. Was the ridge far
> enough
> out that it lined up with the outer edge of the bearing race once it was
> installed? If so then it belongs there.

It's been a long time.  The bearing race seated okay after it got past the
ridge.
IIRC the ridge was just to the outside of the bearing race seating area.

> I've had bearings seize and they removed metal & made the replacement
> bearing race loose on the spindle, not the other way around.

That's been my experience with other cars.  That's why this situation
surprised me.

> The only
> exception was the one that welded itself to the spindle - that was
> interesting.

Had that happen too.  Very interesting if it happens while you're driving.

> Also, most don't realize that the original wheel bearings in our Mercedes
> were made in Japan or China.
> Tom Hargrave

I don't believe the Chinese bearing I put on the 300D was a Mercedes
bearing.  It had a little too much play to be a quality bearing.  Next time
I grease the wheels I'll try a Mercedes bearing.  It could have been that
the U.S. mfg. bearings were a little tighter although that seems unlikely.
Gerry