Something similar happened to my son's car -- would not accelerate, ran
bad -- listers diagnosed it as a clogged hose that runs from the back of
the intake manifold to the ALDA.  Cleaned that out, it ran much better.
That does not really relate to the engine (or is the starter?) turning
faster, but you might want to check out that hose and clean it and the
manifold hole out where it exits the manifold.

Sorry to hear of your fam issues, its tough when parents get older...

--R