From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Craig McCluskey
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 23:13
To: mercedes
Subject: [MBZ] Wheel Bearings!

Well, I started the process to put my new dial indicator to use and jacked
up the front of the car and removed both wheels. I attacked the driver's
side wheel first. I took the brake caliper off, hung it by a piece of
coathanger wire, and removed the hub and disk.

With a fair amount of difficulty, I got the old grease seal off and
removed the bearings. After much cleaning later (alcohol doesn't cut
grease very well, but it's the only solvent I have), I weighed out some of
the green Mercedes grease into both new grease caps (15 grams each) and
then weighed out 50 grams into two sandwich bags for the two sets of
bearings and hubs. The process of forcing the new grease into the bearings
was a very gooey mess, going not quite as well as I had hoped, but it got
done adequately.

I then proceeded to get my largest socket and tap the seal into place.
Unfortunately, my largest socket wasn't quite large enough and I pushed
one lip of the seal down a noticable amount. After surveying the
situation, I decided to take that one out (and make an overnight shipment
from Rusty necessary). After much struggle again, I got the seal out.

The second time, I knew I had to do something differently. I went next
door and looked at my neighbor's socket collection. Worse than mine. Back
home, I spied the old water pump/fan pulley from the 240D motor. The
mounting flange of the pulley is much larger in diameter than the seal and
thus would not cause the problem I had earlier. So, I proceeded with the
pulley's face resting on the seal and the large socket resting on the
pulley's mounting surface.

I thought I had done a good job. I was wrong. One side of the seal was
pressed down, but not as much as the last time.

So, how good is good enough? I'll be calling Rusty early Monday for a set
of new seals (maybe two), so I can replace this one, too (fortunately the
tube of grease has a little extra grease in it so greasing the lips of
successive new seals won't short the hub of grease).

Any comments? Suggestions? Help? Help!

I'll send a picture on a reply to this email (if I attach it to this
email, it will be held up for Kaleb's approval).

Craig