In a message dated 10/4/2007 2:44:21 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I have a  new Harrison A/C compressor from Rusty ready to go in an '83 240D.
A tag  says oil must be added but does not say how much or in which port it
should be poured.

You have an R4 as you already know.  The way the ports are oriented  (upside
down from GM), you can only put in about 2 ounces before it will run out  when
you tip the compressor up to install it.  So pour a couple ounces in  it and
at least 2 more ounces into the dryer fitting.  the whole system  when new
would call for about 8 ounces of oil and it is very likely that most of  your
has
been lost due to leakage.

With the oil in the compressor, you need to rotate the piston assy and lube
the seal.  the clutch should face down and what I do is clamp a 14mm deep
socket in the vice, set the compressor drive shaft nut on the socket and
rotate
the compressor a couple turns.  It will turn fairly hard  but should turn
smoothly.

by the way, does your compressor have the X embossed into the front bearing
cover to denote that the oil feed port is up when installed.  How about  your
old one?  If you got it from Rusty, it should be set up for MB  engines, which
basically mount the R4 upside down from GM applications.   There was quite a
discussion about  whether is important to have the oil  feed up but if you
have the compressor in hand, I would at least check it's  orientation.  You can
unbolt and rotate the front bearing cover to achieve  the correct orientation.
Lift the front cover just enough to insure that  the O-ring gasket is not
sticking to the cover.  I will send 3  pictures, separately, which you will
have
to extract from Kaleb's  files.

Good luck,

Jim  Friesen