Hello Mitch

Kingpin bushings are almost always bronze, which has much greater allowable
bearing loading than brass or babbitt.  Some are bronze with plastic liners
or
inserts, if you can believe that.  I believe it because I saw the bushings.
I might
not believe it if I hadn't seen them.  Whatever you do is OK.

Why are you "under the impression that molybdenum disulphide damaged
copper alloy (brass, bronze, babbit) bearing surfaces?"   I do not doubt
your
good faith belief.  I just do not believe it is correct or founded on the
facts.

FWIW, babbitt contains only a very small percentage or perhaps only traces
of copper, IIRC.

True Babbitt (named for its inventor) is a largely tin alloy.  There are
several
white metal bearing alloys.  The cheaper ones (all are high priced) contain
lots of lead and are unsuitable for heavy or pounding loads. The good stuff
is largely tin.  So called Nickel Babbitt is I think actually an old brand
that
contains traces of nickel.

I believe you will find the grease manufacturers recommending their moly
grease
for general use including just about everything.  I can tell you that I use
it for
everything except white grease applications, and plenty of others do the
same.
So far it has worked fine for me.

Here is what a tube of moly grease that I bought at Wal~Mart, home of low
prices, says on the tube:

"Provides protection with molybdenum disulfide to establish a superior film
strength
on working surfaces and withstands heavy loads, water attack and shock
loads.

Contains rust and oxidation inhibitors and extreme pressure additives for
long
lubrication life.

Use for automotive, industrial, mining and construction ball and roller
bearings,
bushings, slides, chassis points, ball joints, U-joints, backing plates,
wheel bearings
and more.

Especially suited for the most severe multi-purpose service in
construction,
manufacturing, farming and fleet industries.

Also will not turn to gold or silver or draw flies."

Wait - I confess!  I just made up that last.  It may turn to gold or silver
or
draw flies if used on Mercedes kingpins.  Darn!

If you go to Chevron, Mystik, or any of the other grease and oil
manufacturers, I am quite sure you will find the same sort of language, and
you will not find language to the effect that molybdenum disulfide damages
copper and/or tin alloys.

I put it to you that if the above language were not true, and in truth and
fact
molybdenum disulfide damaged copper and/or tin alloys, Wal~Mart would
become the happy hunting ground for the class action lawsuit gang on those
grounds alone. So would all the other grease and oil manufacturers.

Who in his right mind would concoct such a situation?

I suppose you can put me down as being in favor of molybdenum disulfide
grease.  I think the facts are on that side.  Others may believe as they
wish.

Robert, enabler of ed

Mitch Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote