Allen Wrote:

I've suddenly been stricken with the
idea of trying to find a VW Eurovan in good shape.  I really like the
seating configuration and interior space layout.

Anyone have any experience with them?  I had a Jetta years ago and was
quite satisfied with it.  How is the VR6 engine, longevity-wise?  I
know the old wasserboxer in the Vanagon was pretty high maintenance.

I don't own one, but spent a week in one once. They're a pleasure to
drive, handle quite well considering, have very comfortable seats all
around, and lots of space.

The VR6 is supposed to be a good mill, and has plenty of power, but
is thirsty: a friend of mine with a passat wagon gets 17 or so in
town, and she's a mom with small kids who drives conservatively.

VWs in general have horrible reliability ratings in recent years, and
my friends with new ones have all been affected. Electrical, mainly,
but pretty much everything else, too. I know folks who've had
vanagons forever that eventually went to Eurovans and were mightily
disappointed on the reliability front. I wouldn't buy one. Check
consumer reports.

I have two vanagons, one with a eurospec turbodiesel, one with a
Jetta gas engine. THey're both westfalias, and I love 'em. There's
nothing like 'em, and the conversions--both very satisfying--get
around the Wasserboxer problem.

Were I to want a 7-passenger van and didn't want to go to a lot of
trouble, I'd probably get a stock Toyota Previa with a stick shift--
they're mid-engined, handle very well, have legendary Toyota quality,
get decent milage and power out of their 2.5 liter 4, and have very
flexible interiors. If you're willing to get an automatic, you can
get a turbo version of the same engine for a bit more power.

Were I interested in going to some trouble, I'd get a late-model
vanagon (they were made until '90) and have Hans at vanaru.com
install a subaru engine in it. Any subie motor will fit, Hans does a
great job, and the result is a very reliable, quiet vanagon, with
anything from plenty of power to a rediculous amount of power, as
even the sixes and the SVX tiresmoker will fit back there. Or, you
can get thewestfaliaman.com to install a VW TDI motor in one--another
good option if you wanted to stay diesel. Either conversion will run
you about 8 grand, I think (don't quote me), plus the cost of the
vehicle.

Vanagons aside from their wasserboxer engines are great
vehicles--50/50 weight distribution, so they handle great, 1-ton
capacity chassis, so you can really fill 'em up, and since most of
the weight is still between the wheels, they stay level and ride and
handle even BETTER, and they have much more room than other minivans.
They're in a class by themselves in that regard. They also crash test
pretty well, in spite of appearances--they've got very beefy front
ends designed specifically for that. Engine over the drive wheels
gives them decent traction, and they're very good on rough roads or
for limited off-road use. I love driving mine, and am regularly gone
for 5k miles at a shot for work, living and working out of the van
the whole time. If I had a choice between getting rid of my westy or
my SD, the SD would be gone in a heartbeat, much as I love it.

Dan