On 10/27/07, Kevin Kraly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> trying to find a scanner that will
> work with my '93 Isuzu Trooper, supposedly OBD compatible because it used
> GMC engine electronics.
>
> That's strange since it has the 3.2L DOHC Isuzu V6.

I guess it has something to do with GM being a part owner of Isuzu
(maybe majority owner by now?) and there being so much technology
sharing between the two.  Regardless, the factory service manual
definitely does refer to a "Delco engine management system" and most
of the electrical parts under the hood say "Delco" on them (and are
shared with  various GM engines, e.g. the coil packs).

Re reliability, I have the impression that the old GMC 3.1 in the
first-generation Trooper is slow but rock-solid.  The Isuzu 3.2 is
much more powerful but a bit more fragile.  It is also so noisy by
nature that it's hard to hear the bad noises, or, more accurately,
distinguish bad from good.  Mine knocks a little under load, as if
being lugged (but I'm in the right gear).  Not sure if that's normal
or if I have a bearing going.  If the latter, I'd probably better
start budgeting for a newer SUV of some kind.  The Trooper fits my
needs for a hauling/towing/off-road vehicle really nicely, but it is
pretty tired and I'm not sure it's worth any major repair.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo et al.