This depends on the year.
There is a thread here
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=161283

If you have a two piece console wood piece there are two screws
located in the ash tray holding the lower part edge onto the console
frame, they run horizontal to the wood, not vertical or offset.
Beware of stripping the nice plastic  threads then it becomes
impossible to remove the screws thus impossible to remove the lower
part.

On Nov 1, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Kaleb C. Striplin ((CAT)) wrote:

> Anybody know how to remove the center console wood on a 140?  I
> cant seem to figure it out. It looks like the ash tray needs to
> come out but I cant seem to get it out either.  Looks like ther are
> a couple of screws holding the shifter wood, but looks like maybe
> the climate control wood has to come out first, which I cant figure
> out how to get that out either.  Help.
>
> ---
> Kaleb C. Striplin
> Cox Auto Trader