Put a real fuel filter/water separator on it.  You can buy the Roosa
Master filter pair from a tractor salvage yard.  Most John Deere
Diesels from 4020 on have them.  Most of the problems of the GM
diesel stem from water in the fuel/plugged filter.  The factory put
on an itty bitty filter, not much more than the MB see-thru
prefilter, that passes ALL water through to the nozzles, where it ruins them.

Side benefits of the Master filters:  They are see thru; you can buy
replacements lotsa places, including every JD dealer in the
country.  If you are stranded, you have about a 50/50 chance of the
nearest farm having spares; they filter out finer particles than the
MB OEM filters.

At 11:29 AM 11/14/2007, you wrote:
>I'm eyeing a mid '80s Suburban. I own a gasoline-powered one,
>but it's wearing out and I'd rather have a diesel. But I've
>never owned a GM diesel.
>
>So what thing do I need to look at or ask about?
>
>Are there there any wicked or expensive common failure modes?
>
>Other advise?
>
>--               Philip

Loren Faeth