You can kill a diesel just as fast as you can kill a gasser.  They are
more tolerant of poor fuel, but lack of oil changes ages them pretty
fast, and they are generally more expensive to fix.

I'm thinking I'm going to play engine swap from my old car (275,000
miles and almost undetectable blowby) to the new one (about 290,000
with significant blowby).  Synthetic oil makes all the difference, I'd
bet they were almost identical in condition at 150,000 or so when I got
mine.

With regular synthetic oil changes on a 60x, you should get a million
miles out of the bottom half.  Probably a couple cracked heads along
the way, and a valve job every 250,000 or so.

Peter