From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Loren Faeth
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 10:14 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] Airbags Was: Auntie

The activation device for airbags is essentially a blank shotgun
shell.  One company makes them in a leased part of the Iowa Army
Ammunition Plant.  They need the explosion-proof facility for
manufacturing.  It is a little more technical than a shotgun shell,
but the charge is of similar size/energy to a 12 ga shell.

At 10:31 PM 11/20/2007, you wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>
>We had a Safety Tech Event on Saturday at MB Motors in Phoenix.  Bud
>Cloninger, owner, did a very good presentation on all the safety
>features on MB's.  He stripped a W124 to show what the frame looks like.
>Then, he demonstrated the airbags, first activating the driver side.
>Then the passenger side.  He passed out earplugs beforehand.  Never
>knew that airbags sound like a shotgun when deployed.  Deployment of
>an airbag is a very violent action.
>Airbags can hurt, but more often they will save lives.
>
>Always make sure all occupants have their seatbelts connected (I know
>I'm talking to the choir) and NEVER, EVER smoke a pipe while driving!
>
>Take care and Happy Thanksgiving to all......
>
>Chuck
>Phoenix AZ
>
>On Nov 20, 2007, at 8:31 PM, Robert Rentfro wrote:
>

> > Peter typed:
> >
> > "I don't intend to EVER have another accident"
> >
> > I remember, back in the day, Mr. Reinholt in the "behind the book"
> > portion
> > of driver's ed would tell us that "there is no such thing as an
> > 'accident'
> > because someone is always at fault...they are 'collisions' "
> >
> > The roads are full of idiots. At least we have an advantage because
> > we are
> > protected better form the idiots.
> >
> > Bob R.
> > Rolling safely in a thirty year old car