The theory behind the hot drain is that all the little particles of
nastiness are suspended in the oil and most get flushed out, whereas the
cold method has a drawback in which the particles settle on the bottom
of the pan and in other places around the engine.
I'll stick with the manufacturer recommended way of doing things, which
is a hot drain.

Hendrik