As Tom says, Oil Analysis tells much more than what's happening with the
oil.  Since the oil in one way or another comes in contact with virtually
all the stuff in the engine compartment.

    The Oil Analysis Report is basically grouped in 3 sections.  1st, the
properties of the metals typically found in an engine are analyzed with
their levels noted.  If a level is too high, that contaminate of flagged.
Next, the oils additives are quantified to define what their levels are.  If
high, they are noted and flagged.  Next, the Oils' physical properties are
tested - the SAE, amount of fuel in the oil, any water or Glycol in the oil
and a few other things.  A spreadsheet showing the analysis results for a
couple of hundred reports are shown at http://members.rennlist.com/oil

    Also, as Tom suggested, many engine problems can be determined by
checking the results.  For example, when the Silicon level is too high
(again, as Tom mentioned) a problem with the air filter intake possibly
exists.  I have seen air filters improperly seated or missing the o-rings
which allowed intake air to bypass the filter and bring air filled with dirt
into the engine.  Also, on diesel engines, the Soot is measured which is a
good indication of Blow by - which allows contaminated air to get past the
rings and into the oil.  Thus a high level of soot can indicate weak rings -
or use of an oil which does not properly suspend and carry the contaminates
to the filter for removal.

    Obviously some of these bits of information do not lend themselves to
easy fixes but knowing about a problem often opens up new possibile
solutions.

HTHs

Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
.