Ernest wrote << it's amazing what kind of POSs some sellers will want to
waste your
time to show you even when you're *very* specific about the condition of
what you're looking for>>

I think much of this is due to the general lack of knowledge about MBs -
some people see the 3 pointed Star and see an $80K vehicle - regardless of
age or condition.  I imagine the same is true of people seeing a RR, Ferrari
Porsche or other exotic car.  Many people seldom see these cars and when
they do they look past the warts.  I haven;t looked at many private owned
vehicles of this caliber but the ones I see at used car lots have the same
mentality.  There was an auction a fe months ago.  I wanted tog o just to
see how the process worked.  They required some registration of the
potential buyers which I agreed to but to get into the tent where the exotic
cars were showing req'd a $10K letter of credit or cashiers's check.  I
asked why and they said the Maybach they had was a $800k car - I started to
argue since they sell for less than $500k unless they get a *lot* of
options - which this one did not have - but the lady on the hone had been
told the MB Maybachs were outrageously expensive and she went with what she
was told.

I don't know who they're fooling  - the people with the money to buy
something like these cars know the value - those who are impressed by
incorrect claims don't have the money to do anything with the information so
I still don't understand why sellers exaggerate the condition of cars they
are selling -

Anyway - it's odd that people see our old MBs and think they're as valuable
as ne ones.  I was traveling to a engineering office with a couple of other
members of our team and we all rode in the same rental car.  We passed a 70s
220/240 struggling to get thru an intersection when oneof the engineers
said, "Look - an $80,000 car and he ran out of gas."  A reasonably
intelligent guy possessing little knowledge of older MBs.  Maybe the people
trying to pass off a POS are hoping someone like that will come by and drop
several thousand more than the car is worth - just so they can drive away in
a MB.
Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
.