From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Zoltan Finks
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:46 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] Another door problem and some door talk

Glad you got that bolt out, Bob.
Here's a question: In our 190D, the driver's door does not have that
pleasing "stop" in its travel. You know, that feature that allows you to
open it halfway and have it stay there, and helps keep it from swinging open
too fast and making me cringe. What would need to be replaced to remedy
this? This isn't what is referred to as the door having been "sprung" is it?

Someone - Peter? - mentioned that they hate to slam the doors on their MB. I
have to say I'm with you. So many people just let it fly when shutting car
doors. I take my careful-ness to the point of opening the passenger side
door, preferably the rear passenger door, instead of the driver's door if I
simply need to get something out of the car. And I try to plan my actions to
require as few door openings and closings possible. All this, I figure will
make up for the years of likely abuse the doors have received before I got
the vehicle. Oh, and it makes up for the wife's treatment of them too.

I LOVE the quality that is so apparent in the doors of the MBs I have
encountered. Our 190 feels a bit less satisfying than the 240, but for all I
know, the quality is the same. The doors on my former SAAB 900 were
particularly pleasing!

When my wife and I got a ride from my brother in his '76 Plymouth Aspen, I
wanted to gag at the feel and sound of the doors and windows. This is one of
those models that does not have a frame over the top of the window. The
window flaps back and forth when the door is closed. I recall that my
friend's '79 Trans Am was the same.

By way of a bit of redemption for American cars though, my '68 Dodge Coronet
2 door coupe does not have a frame over the windows, but is nice and solid
and pleasing. And on that car when you roll down all four windows it's
completely open front to back - always cool. It's not a "post" - it's a
"hardtop".

No charge for these informational gems, guys.

Brian