You've just gotta love 'em! I'd probably have a Kirby for "carpet sweeping"
but I'm just sold on those old cannister types.

Though I like the new Dyson uprights that swirl the dirt around in a
chamber, no bag... I don't like the idea of pretty new plastic appliances
that are disposed of after a few years. Give me my 40, 30 and 23 year old
vacumne cleaners, my 25 y/o KitchenAid mixer, my 45 year old Hotpoint rotary
ironer (mangle), etc.

Yep, I'm compulsive about certain things. I'd rather do without until I
could afford something of quality rather than buy cheap and replace every
year. Appreciating quality and taking proper car of those things is a key!

That's why this type of discussion is appropriate on a MBZ thread.

While on a rant here... I was taught not to finance anything that
depreciates. You'd pay interest on a loan for something new that loses
value? That's not always possible. BUT.. I'm afraid I'm pretty close minded
when it comes to being interested in new cars. I'm not at all current on new
cars, optional equipment, etc. My last conversation with a car dealer was
early last spring when I was looking for a new little Ford Ranger pickup. I
walked on the lot saying I wanted a basic little 5 speed p/u. Every unit had
some ridiculous add-on equipment which boosted the price. I walked on the
lot with a price in mind and a checkbook in hand. The salesman tried so hard
to "sell" me on some "customer preferred package" that he convinced me I
would not be a customer as I didn't prefer those packages. I left.

The only exception unfortunately is computer hardware. I won't even rant at
how the moment you buy something it's planned obsolete.