Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 20:05:52 -0800
From: Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT HDTV
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

> My Son works for Verizon & he has stated more than once that only
> about 0.2%
> of their cell phones are analog.

Great!  I won't even notice when I'm in that 0.2% of where/when
I travel that I'm not in easy coat-less walking distance to
another phone or a warm place to sit.

What're the chances I'll break down on the road, in the boonies,
etc.?

It's not about percentage of any sort of coverage, it's
about how critical non-communication is in the areas that
are about to go dead.

I have an analog-only (not that I wanted that particularly)
phone that works nearly everywhere, because it's an old 3W
bag phone.  I use it for emergencies, etc.  Camping with
the family in the sticks?  My phone works, nobody else's
does.

After the change, I won't be able to, NOR WILL I BE ABLE TO
REPLACE IT WITH ANYTHING MORE MODERN THAT WILL DO THE SAME
JOB!

It's just like when TV switches over.  Reception in our
area sucks, and while I can live with and watch just fine
the somewhat snowy analog signals, I'm sure with the new
stuff we will get almost no service off the air.  (One
channel will certainly come in well, I can see the antenna
from here.)

Digital signaling usually doesn't have usable service
degradation.  It's 'better' where it works at all, and
totally useless everywhere else.  The area covered
is tremendously smaller.

There's no cable service here.  Will I be forced to
buy expensive satellite service where I used to get
free service before?  Joy.  Will I be able to tape
three channels while I watch a fourth?  I doubt it.

Television and Phone service will get worse here in
the next few years.  Will it ever get better?

-- Jim