Here's an update on the left rear door, and gas filler lock.  Went to open
the car the other day to tinking with the locks and air lines, and whoosh,
all doors opened.  Hmmm.  The bad door opened at the same speed as the
others, no delay.  Gas flap was still not opening, so spent some time in the
truck looking for the emerg release.  Wouldn't want to run out of gas at
night and be stuck with a jerry can, and looking for that release!!  Anyway,
found it.  It too now seems to work when I open the car from any of the
three key locks.  I still want to pull it apart, as something that works
part of the time bugs me more than something that's broken all together.

Update on the mobil 1 trans fluid.  Car always shifted nice, but when cold,
it does seem to shift up to second faster when pulling away form home in the
mornings than with the old fluid.

The switch to the Rotella T 15W/40 also seems to burn less than the Quaker
State 20W/50 I was running in the summer.  It was a case of the old Quaker
with higher levels of zinc.

Next on the list, pull the heater control board or whatever it's called.
Some of the settings are a little wonky, so I'll check all the connections
and solder points.

There are always a few things on the to do list with an old car, but so far,
this car over the past 7-8 months has been really good.  I want to change
the little gaskets on the valve ends in the Spring, but I'm a little worried
about dropping a valve in, so I'm think to just take the whole head off, and
change everything I can get to.  I'll take the next couple of months reading
up and bugging everyone here on how best to do that.  I've changed a few
timing belts, but want to walk through how to change, or reassemble the
chain and get the cam/piston timing right.

So far, I've been pretty happy with it, and it's been a fun car to tinker
on.

Ed
300E
lots of kms., and counting.  :-)