An EX was bipolar. Could spend hours trying to be a perfectionist but
couldn't actually focus to get a task done. I used to feel so sad that "it
wasn't fair" for someone so brilliant to be afflicted with such an "unquiet
mind."

I couldn't "fix it" and after many years I finally had to leave just for my
own sanity and safety. Yep, I was awakened from sleep many times being
attacked, broken ribs, etc. Not being "married" I had no legal standing to
get help. The "mother-in-law" was just as manic and insisted they had no
history of mental illness in their family. "Yeah, right... everyone just
spits out their lithium.."