From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Allan Streib
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:09 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Taking a Poll on Tailgating - Not a Rant

Was not trying to condone tailgating, I guess my point is that when
you get into a pissing match on the expressway eventually someone is
going to end up hurt or dead.

I stand by my position though that if you are impeding traffic in the
left lane you should move right.  You are not there to enforce the
speed limits (unless you happen to be a law enforcement officer).
Sudden braking in the left lane, moving right to thwart a pass on the
right after you've already blocked the other driver to the left  to
"teach a tailgater a lesson" is as childish as the tailgating, and is
escalating the situation.

I've been in a car with a friend who was pulled by a state trooper
for driving in the left lane.  The left lane is for passing, and he
was not passing, he was just driving there.  The cop approached from
the rear, my friend did not move right and though he was not driving
under the limit he was pulled over.  You cannot lollygag in the left
lane and you cannot drive there pacing the traffic to the right.
"Slower traffic keep right" is what the signs say.  Speeding is a
separate and unrelated offense, as is tailgating.

Allan