On Feb 8, 2008 11:23 PM, Rich Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> and it just escaped me why
> Yahoo was worth whatever billion$ they would spend on it.

Well, Yahoo! still has a bit going for it. As far as mind share and product
placement is concerned, Yahoo! is still a well known brand. No matter how
mind-bogglingly cool Gmail is, Yahoo! Mail still has a larger subscriber
base. Ok, 90% of *those* users are spammers, but the point is if you are
looking at pure numbers Yahoo! has more mail users and just pushes more mail
period, right now.

Heck, because of the SBC Yahoo! deal, and my DSL account, I have something
like 9 Yahoo! Mail accounts for me and my family. (Although the Yahoo!
account that I use is forwarded directly to my Gmail account, but I
digress.)

You also have the Yahoo! Groups, which are widely used for alternate mailing
lists. Yahoo! Messenger also is running toe to toe with AOL IM for largest
user base as well. All in all it's all about the numbers. Even if 50% of the
accounts in Yahoo! are duplicates (like my 9) and 50% of *those* are used
primarily for sending spam until they are turned off and a new one opened,
the numbers are still astronomical when viewed on paper.

That's what Microsoft wants to buy. The numbers that appear on paper. The
millions of email users, the hundreds of thousands of Y!IM users, etc. Pull
them into the Microsoft fold, make half of the ads in all Yahoo! mail and at
the bottom of the Yahoo! searches Microsoft related, and try to win back the
eyeballs and minds of the unsuspecting public.

Hell, they have spent more than what they offered for Yahoo! in trying to
keep the Xbox and now the Xbox 360 alive to battle Sony I think.

Ed

--
"I'm a Night Elf Mohawk!" - Mr. T.