From: "Rich Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: 2/12/08 9:09 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] CHevy 305/350 WAS- High mileage badges

I had a 350 with TBI in my 87 4x4 Blazer with 4spd 700R4, it was OK,
kinda agricultural but solid and you can get parts at the 7-11.  When
that started burning oil I had an old guy (in his 80s now, complaining
but still doing engine work, built AJFoyt's first race engine back when)

build me up a 350 -- he put on Vortec heads (they flow better, aluminum)

and an Edelbrock intake, ZZ4 cam and some other stuff, but we used the
TBI on it.  It never did run right -- I think the cam/heads are not well

matched to what the old TBI computer can do.  I found a laptop program
and made up a cable to watch the computer, it looked like everything was

fine but it runs rich.  Wouldn't pass emissions (at the legit places) so

I sorta retired it.  I still have that truck, been trying to sell it but

body is rusted and no one will pay for the engine/drivetrain which is
quite solid, so I might strip it down, keep the good bits, and scrap the

rest.  It would run well with a 4bbl or a newer FI set up, but the 4bbl
won't pass inspection and a new FI is pricey.  Before I had him do mine,

I drove a truck he had just built/put a 350 in, that thing about scared
the scheiss out of me.  I punched it going about 60, tranny downshifted
and the rear tires screeched and let go, I backed off then and said
"good enough for me."

I have my dad's 96 Chevy truck now, with the 305.  He got the smaller
engine when he bought it thinking it would be easier on gas, but there
is really no difference between it, my old Blazer, and the 2000 Burb
with the 5.3.  The 305 is same as 350 with just different stroke I
think.

--R

Donald Snook wrote:
> Alex C. wrote:  "So if the old small-block was so good, how come they
dumped it and moved to the Vortec engine family for the trucks?  Fuel
economy and/or emissions concerns, or something else?"

> The old small block was a workhorse, but the newer balanced engines
were for superior for fuel injection, the use of and harmonic balancing.
The newer engines also developed more power with better fuel economy.
Now, the 350 that was fuel injected in 87 is an awesome engine. But,
1988 represented a watershed year for GM becuasue of the development of
the newer engines.

> Until the design of the 3800 V6, the 307 ("Y" code) engine and the 305
(made by chevy) was, in my opinion the best engines GM made UNTIL the
design of the 3800 V6.

> Donald H. Snook

2/11/2008 5:28 PM