That's why I'm looking at a Jetta wagon TDI that's a few years old. The
largest part of the depreciation is gone and it will be good for another
ten years or so. By that time I'll have saved enough on fuel (over the
Benz) to buy another one.

I have an '82 Jetta that I bought brand new. At 300k+ the body and
original engine are still good, though I had to replace the head at 80K
because I burned the valves following the idiot upshift light (remember
those?) . However, it was the electrics that consigned it to a moldering
death in my yard. The electrics did get better in 83. I have an 83 Jetta
Turbo diesel that still going strong.

Martin