On 17/02/2008, Peter Frederick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Except the US pint is 16 oz instead of 20 oz, probably so that tavern
> owners made more money selling "pints" back in the 1700s.
>
> Even the metric system isn't quite rational, being based on the
> distance between Paris and the North Pole.
>
> Peter
>
> Where did you get that info on the metre and the North Pole? It was
originally derived from the properties of natural objects, namely the
circumference of the Earth and water. It was decided to measure the meridian
from Barcelona to Dunkirk which was the longest segment almost fully over
land within French territory.

A prototype metre was then developed and used until the 60's when it was
changed to a certain number of wavelengths of a particular frequency of
light emitted by a certain element. Since 1983 the metre has been defined as
the distance light travels in a given fraction of a second in a vacuum.

It's much better than that gibberish of a system they tried to teach us in
school. I never could grasp the Imperial system as it was too nonsensical to
me, much like old British coinage! Still can't quite grasp that old money!
What a silly system.

Remember as well that the US was the first country to use a rationalised,
decimal based currency system.......how ironic that they're one of only
three holdouts against the metric system..the other two being Liberia and
Myanmar. (Burma)

Zedic