Mitch typed:

"I'd unhook the breather tube from the valve cover, or reroute it to a jar.
If the car quits burning oil and sprays it out the breather instead,
you might see if there's a big gap in the breather tube in the valve
cover.

If the oil still comes out the exhaust without the breather dumping
oil in the intake, it's got to be coming through the rings, valve
guides, or head gasket. If the car passes a cylinder leakdown test,
I'd think the valve stem seals would be worth trying."

AH HA!  A troubleshooting plan. The nuke in me likes it.

Bob R.