I saw some photos of our city about 100 years ago.  Couldn't see the lake
for all the smog from the coal being burned.  Lead mercury in all the paint
we used up until the 70's, lots of that funky insulation material in houses,
brake pads, and best we didn't look too close at the plumbing and what was
in the water that came out.  Many things are better today.  They say we have
more cars today, and it's true.  It's also true 30 years ago, everyone on my
street drove a car with a 400 cub engine, or larger, with no cat, and leaded
gas.  I suspect with all the extra cars today, we still enjoy better air
quality today.  It ain't all doom and gloom.  Oh, and the Russians think
we've peeked and are entering into the a cooling period now.  Will be fun to
see where we are in 2-30 years.  I suspect we'll still be able to go into a
mercedes dealer, and buy a smart type car, or a gasser with a 6 litre
engine, just as we can today, and just as we could back in '75.

Ed
300E